Mega-malware Flame was indeed created by US and Israeli spies to sabotage Iran‘s nuclear efforts, according to a report in the The Washington Post. Flame’s nation-state origins were suspected ever since its discovery last month, and now an unnamed US intelligence official has confirmed that the virus, along with its partner Stuxnet, is part of a continuing cyber-assault on Iran.
It is now all but certain that the design of Stuxnet – fully sanctioned by President Barack Obama, according to a New York Times report earlier this month, and used to damage the centrifuges in Iran’s nuclear plants – was informed by intelligence gathered via Flame, which experts have also confirmed could have been developed only by world-class cryptographers. The Post‘s source also says that the US National Security Agency, the CIA and Israeli military continue the development of new cyber weapons to this day:
The US and Israel don’t always act together though, it seems. Flame was unearthed only after a unilateral Israeli attack on Iranian oil facilities in April, leading Iran to investigate and discover the malware. The Post reports that US officials were “dismayed” at its partner’s actions.
Blowfish12@2012 blowfish12.tk Author: Sudharsun. P. R.
- Confirmed: Flame created by US and Israel to slow Iranian nuke program (arstechnica.com)
- Flame malware developed by US, Israel to slow Iranian nuclear efforts (slashgear.com)
- Leak: Usa, Israel Created ‘Flame’ Virus Aimed at Iran (investmentwatchblog.com)
- US, Israel Behind Flame Malware (it.slashdot.org)
- US and Israel developed Flame malware to attack Iranian nuclear program (theverge.com)
- U.S., Israel developed Flame computer virus to slow Iranian nuclear efforts, officials say – The Washington Post (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- U.S., Israel Developed Flame Computer Virus (cryptogon.com)
- Report: Current malware against Iran much more sophisticated than Flame (ifaynsh.wordpress.com)
- Stuxnet cyberattack by US a ‘destabilizing and dangerous’ course of action, security expert Bruce Schneier says (mbcalyn.com)
- Flame virus ‘created by US and Israel as part of intensifying cyber warfare’ (mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com)