Grace Hopper, a woman Admiral in the navy, was the inventor of COBOL. Admiral Hopper wrote COBOL to be a programming language for general business use. It was supposed to be easier to understand than either Fortran or assembly language.
The name ‘worm’ appeared in the 1970 movie ‘Shockwave Rider‘ to describe a program that propagates itself through a computer network.
Apple based their Lisa (later Macintosh) operating system on work done on graphical user interface at PARC which was run by Xerox. It was here that idea of the desktop and the mouse as we have it today was created.
Estimates suggest as much as 50 percent of the power used in desktop PCs is wasted as heat and expelled through fans on the power supply.
Blowfish12@2012 blowfish12.tk Author: Sudharsun. P. R.
- COBOL moving words (daniweb.com)
- Grace Hopper and the Invention of the Information Age by Kurt W Beyer – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Brief History (mainframesupport.wordpress.com)
- Quote for the day: 7-07-2012 (blowfish12.wordpress.com)
- Question for the day: 7-07-2012 (blowfish12.wordpress.com)
- Retrieve data from a txt file in cobol (daniweb.com)
- Scala Less Popular Than COBOL: Programming In The Real World (nerds-central.blogspot.com)
- grace hooper (kjmmyblog.wordpress.com)
- Quote for the day: 6-07-2012 (blowfish12.wordpress.com)
- Ten Development Environments That Won’t Go Away (news.dice.com)