Some of the features might be just what the 65-and-older market needs — noise cancellation, larger text, and even speech-slowing for better parsing of fast-talking callers.
At a press conference, Fujitsu president Masami Yamamoto showed off the devices, which feature simplified home screens with just a few apps. They’re as bright and colorful as anything you’d see in a nursery, and they’re designed to be drop-dead simple for anyone who is new to smartphones or needs a little extra help with smartphone technology.
Here’s a sneak peek:
These phones are already being sold on Fujitsu’s Japanese home turf; as Yamamoto revealed in the press conference, they’ll now be sold overseas. Fujitsu has plans to bring the phones, called Raku-Raku, into the U.S. and Europe first, with a few modifications for each new geography.
“Raku” is Japanese for “easy.” In 2009, Fujitsu rolled out the Raku Raku PC, designed for senior citizens “or any novice computer user.” The principles behind that device remain the same for the smartphone: Color-coding for ease of use, one-touch apps, highlighting of frequently used features and applications, preinstalled software and apps, and larger fonts.
The company last year rolled out a Raku-Raku feature phone. This marvel gave users a button that, when pushed, would immediately connect users to a dedicated customer support call center.
Blowfish12@2012 blowfish12.tk Author: Sudharsun. P. R.
- Fujitsu’s Raku Raku Senior Friendly Smartphone To Go On Sale In US And Europe (ubergizmo.com)
- Fujitsu to release smartphones outside Japan in 2013 (panarmenian.net)
- Fujitsu to sell senior-friendly Android phone in the US and Europe (theverge.com)
- Fujitsu to bring senior-aimed Raku Raku smartphones to US (electronista.com)
- Fujitsu’s Android phones for Grandma and Grandpa coming to US and Europe (androidauthority.com)
- Fujitsu to bring its senior citizen-optimized Raku Raku smartphone to the US, Europe (slashgear.com)
- Fujitsu Raku-Raku F12-D Smartphone Heads To US, Europe (thedroidguy.com)
- Fujitsu Planning Global Push For Easy-To-Use Android For Seniors (pocketnow.com)
- Report: Fujitsu President Says Windows 8 Demand Weak, Intros New Smartphone (pcmag.com)