Developers (and plenty of brave geeks) will soon be able to get a taste of Ubuntu’s smartphone version on their Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4.
Ubuntu developer Canonical announced today that it will release a Developer Preview image, along with the necessary tools to install it, for the two Nexus devices on Feb. 21.
“Canonical says the image will be of the latest developmental milestone for the touch-based Ubuntu (which really needs a catchier name). Developers will be able to build apps using the developer preview, as well as port them to Ubuntu on other devices.”
“Our platform supports a wide range of screen sizes and resolutions,” said Canonical’s Pat McGowan, who’s heading up the release of the touch-based Ubuntu image, in a statement today. “Developers who have experience bringing up phone environments will find it relatively easy to port Ubuntu to current handsets.”
Check back next week for our full impressions of Ubuntu on the Nexus 4.
- Ubuntu for phones to arrive next week on Nexus 4 (pcpro.co.uk)
- Ubuntu Phone Downloads To Be Released Next Week (omgubuntu.co.uk)
- Ubuntu developer preview coming for Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus on Feb 21 (androidos.in)
- Touch Developer Preview of Ubuntu to be published on 21 February 2013 (canonical.com)
- Ubuntu smartphone developer preview arrives next week (zdnet.com)